Ah, the fall. It’s that time of year where the weather cools off, the leaves are changing colors, and people plan for their annual family photo. Whether you plan to DIY your photo, or you’re hiring a professional photographer, you want the best holiday photo possible. Here are some great suggestions for photo locations that won’t look just like last year (and the year before, and the year before).
Family Photo Locations
When it comes to finding a great photo location, think outside the box. And by box, I mean park. Parks can be pretty, but fairly nondescript. It’s kind of the same ‘ole, same ‘ole, and it really says nothing about who you are as a family. So why not put personality in it? Think about what you like to do as a family and incorporate that into your photos.
- Are you a family of bowlers? Then head to your favorite bowling alley for a family game. Get a little competitive and capture the cheers and the concentration on the little ones’ faces.
- Maybe video games are more of your thing. Go to an arcade, or plan a lifestyle family session at home with snacks and your Xbox.
- Love boating? Plan a session at the marina or on your boat. (Same thing for RVs or 4-wheelers.)
- Take everyone ice skating and capture the hand holding, the falls, and the ensuing laughter in your coordinated hats, gloves, and scarves.
- If you want something more holiday themed, document that trip to pick out the perfect Christmas tree, complete with red noses and hot chocolate. Or, plan a lifestyle session at home! Capture the family decorating the tree and hanging those stockings with care, or Saturday morning holiday baking with the kids, as you make your grandmother’s cookie recipe from scratch.
- Strapped for time or stumped creatively? Plan a simple activity, like a family trip to the ice cream shop / candy store / local bakery. (I mean, who doesn’t smile when they’re enjoying their favorite treat!)
- Have a sense of humor? Make a family activity out of finding the ugliest sweaters at the thrift store and rock it out Awkward Family Photos style! Let everyone choose their favorite awkward pose, and recreate them.
- Lifestyle family sessions at home are where it’s at. Whether you enjoy cooking a meal together, or story time in front of the fire, you’ll love the images and the genuine emotions. (Bonus: Your kids are the most comfortable at home, and it makes it easier to include your pets.)
- If you have your heart set on an outdoor photo, keep your eyes peeled for little hidden gems. Like the little grassy field you drive past every day that gets great sunsets. Or the darling little gift shop that is always decorated for the season. Maybe your neighbor’s backyard is a dreamy garden oasis. If you find a great spot on private property, it never hurts to ask! You’ll probably find the owner more than willing to let you use it for photos.
Chances are, your family is probably going to be less than cooperative when it comes time for photos. There’s often a few tears shed, and not just from the kids. By making the photo session more of a family fun day, you’re giving the kids something to look forward to. Smiles aren’t forced, and the laughter is real.
And who knows? Maybe your annual family photo holiday card will hang around on your loved ones’ fridges longer than just January 1.